It’s one thing for a twenty-something college student to preach the wonders and true ease of eating a vegetarian Thanksgiving, but it is another for the ever-so hilarious, mega-celebrity, Ellen DeGeneres to preach along with me.
And, she’s right. It really isn’t that hard.
Not only do you feel awesome about having a cruelty-free yum fest, but the turkeys will finally have something to be thankful for.
In celebration of the day of giving, I have supplied one of my all-time favorite vegan Thanksgiving desserts (I’m a dessert person, sue me).
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
For the Cookie Crust
- 2 cups vegan graham cracker cookies— you can either buy at the store or get adventurous and make them yourself
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 5 1/2 Tbs. vegan butter, melted
For the Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend
- 3 Tbs. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp. ground cloves
For the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
- 8 oz. vegan cream cheese, softened- any brand will do
- 1-15 oz. can pumpkin
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan whipped cream
For the crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the cookies into a resealable bag. Take a rolling pin over the bag until you have small crumbles. Put the crumbles into a bowl, add the sugar and the melted butter and mix well.
- Cover the bottom of a pie plate with a small spoonful of vegan butter. Add a layer of crumbles that covers the entire plate. Press them firmly into the plate with the back of a serving spoon. Bake for 10 minutes until crust is golden brown. Take out of oven and let cool completely (don’t get anxious here, people).
For the Pumpkin Pie Spice Blend and Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pie
- Combine all ingredients except the whipped cream. Beat with the mixer for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Gently fold in the whipped cream with a spoon. Spoon the mixture into the pie shell and smooth out.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, I prefer to let it set overnight to give it a firm texture.
Now, let your taste buds sing!
If you’re looking for a last-minute, complete list of all things vegan Thanksgiving, give this a look.